Carbon Monoxide Safety
You probably know that carbon monoxide (CO) is dangerous. But do you know what causes a build-up of the potentially deadly gas in your home – or what to do if you or a family member experiences CO poisoning?
Here are some important CO facts and safety basics for your Ontario home:
- Carbon monoxide is produced by appliances that burn propane or natural gas, wood, heating oil, or any other fuel.
- Carbon monoxide is often called “The Silent Killer,” since a buildup of the colorless, odorless gas can cause illness, brain damage, or even death.
- The most common causes of carbon monoxide build-up are poor ventilation and faulty equipment; these problems can be the result of:
- Equipment damage
- Inadequate heating system maintenance
- A blocked flue or vent
- Backdraft near a heating appliance
- Overuse of unvented appliances
- The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning worsen as exposure to the gas increases:
- Mild cases can cause flu-like symptoms (headaches, nausea, and dizziness)
- Moderate cases can cause severe headaches and disorientation
- Extreme cases can cause vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, and cardiac arrest
- If someone in your home shows symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning,
- Leave the house and get fresh air immediately.
- Call 911 or your local fire department.
- Visit your doctor.
- Get a professional inspection for your fuel-burning equipment before you use it again.
- Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed on every level of your home outside each sleeping area. Check your carbon monoxide alarm each season, replacing batteries at least twice a year and the unit itself every five years.
- Get routine maintenance for all fuel-burning appliances every year.
- NEVER use outdoor fuel burning equipment such as a portable generator or grill inside the house.
- Learn and teach everyone in your home about the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning and what to do if they experience them.
At Core Fuels, your safety is always our #1 priority. If you have any questions or concerns about home safety, contact us today.