Propane safety in your home
Propane gas is a safe and versatile fuel for your home—but, as with any energy source, you need to take proper care to operate propane equipment safely.
General Propane Safety Guidelines for your home
- As a protective measure for your safety, manufacturers add a strong odourant to propane – it smells like rotten eggs – which makes a leak easier to detect (propane itself is odourless).If you smell gas in your house, motor home, workplace or around any gas equipment:
- Extinguish smoking materials and other open flames.
- DO NOT turn light switches, appliances or thermostats on or off, and DO NOT use the telephone.
- Immediately get everyone out of the building, vehicle, RV, trailer or area.
- Close all gas tank or cylinder supply valves.
- Contact Red Cap Propane Ltd from a neighbour’s phone a safe distance from your house.
- Stay outside until the problem has been corrected.
- Know the signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, and what to do if you think someone has been affected by CO. Carbon monoxide is a potentially deadly by-product of burning propane (or any other fuel). Install CO detectors on every level of your home, testing them periodically and replacing them every five years.
- Install propane leak detectors in every level of your home; like CO detectors, they are inexpensive and available at your local hardware store.
- Know where your underground gas services line is located—especially if you plan to landscape or renovate to your house.
- If you think your propane equipment may be damaged, contact us immediately for an inspection.
- Service propane appliances—especially larger items like furnaces, boilers and water heaters—every year.
- If you have a propane cooking range and the flames are yellow rather than blue, have it serviced; yellow flames indicate an air inlet blockage, which can be dangerous if left untreated.
- Never use a propane gas range or grill to heat your home.
If you have any questions about propane gas safety, please contact us—your well-being is always our #1 priority! Quality products and great service at a fair price.
Get Started Today!
Become a customer today and experience quality products and great service at a fair price.