Buying vs. Renting Your Propane Tank: Pros and Cons
One of the most important decisions you will have to make when you install a propane tank in Ontario is whether to rent or buy the tank. The answer to that question depends on several factors that you will have to consider before making your decision.
Let’s take a look at pros and cons of owning versus renting your propane storage tank.
Owning a propane tank
- You have complete control over who supplies your propane gas.
- You can choose a tank from any manufacturer rather than being limited to tanks your supplier carries.
- You run no risk of your supplier seizing your propane tank in the event of a billing dispute.
- You are responsible all installation and maintenance tasks and costs associated with your tank, including repair, replacement, and parts.
- You are also responsible for periodic tank recertification according to local, Provincial, and Federal laws.
- Some suppliers charge a fee for using your own tank; others charge a preferred propane delivery rate to customers who use the supplier’s tank. Always ask if these fees apply.
Renting a propane tank
- The propane supplier is responsible for installing and maintaining the tank, including repair costs.
- Suppliers often offer preferred propane rates to customers who rent.
- Some suppliers offer free or discounted premium services, such as tank monitoring, to customers who rent their tank.
- When you rent your tank, you must use the same supplier.
- Changing suppliers often involves a termination fee.
As you can see, the choice to buy or rent your propane tank is more complicated than you might think, and depends on your circumstances and personal preferences: buying a tank gives you the freedom to choose any Ontario propane supplier you want to, but leaves you with the responsibility for upkeep and installation. Renting, on the other hand, gives you the peace of mind of not having to think about propane tank repairs and propane tank service, but comes at a cost of losing your ability to choose a supplier.
Not sure whether to buy or rent your propane tank? Give Core Fuels a call – we will find a solution together.