Auto Propane: A Smart Choice for Your Fleet
Did you know that propane – the same stuff you use on your BBQ grill – could be used to power your light- to medium-duty vehicles?
In fact, smart fleet managers in government agencies and businesses across Canada are increasingly turning to auto propane as an ideal fuel for their school and transit buses, courier vans, police cars, taxis, limos and other high-mileage vehicles.
Why consider auto propane for your fleet? Here are some key reasons:
- Lower operating costs – Auto propane costs less per gallon than gasoline – sometimes a lot less, depending on where you live in Canada. Although you do need to burn more propane than gasoline to travel the same distance, it’s not enough to offset the significantly higher cost of gasoline.
- Less maintenance – Auto propane burns cleaner than gasoline, and propane-powered engines experience significantly less carbon build-up than their gasoline counterparts. That means your engine will last longer, your vehicle will spend less time at the shop, and you’ll need fewer filter changes.
- Cold weather reliability – Auto propane vehicles can start in temperatures as low as minus 40°C, removing the need for block heaters that diesel vehicles require in cold weather.
- Better environmental performance – Auto propane has a lower carbon footprint than gasoline, reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 26 percent. Propane also releases up to 18 percent less carbon dioxide and 20 less nitrogen oxide at the point of combustion and cuts particulate releases by 98 percent compared to diesel-fueled vehicles – all while reducing harmful toxic substances such as benzene, acetaldehyde, and formaldehyde.
- Reliability and power – Propane has an octane rating of 104 or higher and offers similar vehicle power, range and acceleration to gasoline vehicles. Propane has been used by vehicles around the world for decades and has a great track record of success.
- Great safety features – Modern technology delivers auto propane through precision propane pumping stations using direct injection, which virtually eliminates risks associate with leaks. Non-toxic, nonpoisonous propane also has the lowest range of flammability of any alternative fuel – far lower than gasoline, for example – and auto propane tanks are 20x more puncture-resistant than gasoline tanks.
- Convenience – Refueling a propane-fueled car is easy if you have ready access to a fueling station that provides propane fill-ups. In fact, it’s not much different than pumping gas: check out this video on fueling a propane autogas powered vehicle from Roush CleanTech – a leading alternative fuel vehicle producer based in the U.S. to see just how easy it is.
Need to fill your vehicle with auto propane? Visit our convenient Stratford Card Lock Location – open 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday!